[Dirvish] implementing new dirvish features

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 15 15:11:52 UTC 2007

Roberto Mello wrote:
>> #########################################
>> # dirvish-runall vaults on command line #
>> #########################################
>>
>> #current state#
>> dirvish-runall executes dirvish on all vaults within master.conf and "runall:"
>> if you split your backup, for instance in daily backups and weekly backups, you have to do one the invokations by hand
>
> I implement this through passing different --config parameters to
> dirvish-runall.
>
> dirvish-expire however, has no such option, so I end up calling
> dirvish-expire on all the vaults in a bank, even though I really don't
> want to.

Why does it matter if dirvish-expire scans some extra vaults? I don't
think it takes long if there's nothing to expire.

> Since we're talking about new features, here are some I wish Dirvish had:
>
> 1) I'd like a place within each vault where to store pre/post scripts,
> so that every vault is self-contained. I'd like the client scripts to
> be stored there too, for the same reason. That way I don't have to
> depend on having a script stored on the client. I even tried a
> solution that's on the Wiki, but it never worked for me.

I guess you're talking about this page on the wiki?
<http://wiki.dirvish.org/index.cgi?ClientScriptsOnServer>

It seems to show a way to keep scripts in the vault, as well as using
them on the client. I haven't tried it: how does it fail?

One thing to be careful of if you keep scripts in the vault is to
remember that the vaults aren't backed up. So if your backup disk fails,
you've lost the script. The same applies to the config files in the
vaults. I have a script that copies such files *out* of the vaults to an
area where they get backed up.

Cheers, Dave