[Dirvish] implementing new dirvish features

Roberto Mello roberto.mello at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 14:13:58 UTC 2007

Excellent suggestions. Let me add my 2c to them...

On Nov 14, 2007 11:17 PM, Jacki <jacki-dirvish at gmx.net> wrote:

> ###################
> # mail generation #
> ###################
>
> #Target state#
> dirvish generates an configurable mail content, listing all vaults and vault-details like the table below:
>
> vault          runtime   files    status
> blue-etc      1h 24min       0   success
> blue-home     4min 22s      29   success
> blue-svn      2min 34s       0   success
> emma-dat       1min 7s       0   error xy
> emma-etc           16s       0   success

I'd really like this, particularly the number of files backed up and
the size of the backup. Currently I implement my own reporting with
the output of dirvish-runall and dirvish-expire, based on
dirvish-runall's exit code, but it's insufficient.

> ########################################
> # dirvish-runall runs dirvish parallel #
> ########################################
>
> #current state#
> dirvish-runall process all vaults like listed in master.conf under "runall:". this not fine, if you backup over a speed-limited and not so reliable connection. a "big" backup in the middle of the list blocks "small" backups at the end. especially if the connection is lost.

I already implement this through multiple config files. It's a bit
more work, but it's simple and it works. This seems to increase
complexity of configuration for little benefit.

> ####################################
> # selectable interpreter for hooks #
> ####################################
>
> #target state#
> an master.conf option defines the interpreter /bin/bash -c or /bin/whatever --option

What value would this add? It's trivial to call a program in a
different language passing the dirvish environment variables.

> #########################################
> # dirvish-runall vaults on command line #
> #########################################
>
> #current state#
> dirvish-runall executes dirvish on all vaults within master.conf and "runall:"
> if you split your backup, for instance in daily backups and weekly backups, you have to do one the invokations by hand

I implement this through passing different --config parameters to
dirvish-runall.

dirvish-expire however, has no such option, so I end up calling
dirvish-expire on all the vaults in a bank, even though I really don't
want to.

Since we're talking about new features, here are some I wish Dirvish had:

1) I'd like a place within each vault where to store pre/post scripts,
so that every vault is self-contained. I'd like the client scripts to
be stored there too, for the same reason. That way I don't have to
depend on having a script stored on the client. I even tried a
solution that's on the Wiki, but it never worked for me.

2) dirvish-expire takes a --config too

-Roberto