[Dirvish] Hauntingly similar to Dirvish

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Nov 13 10:41:37 UTC 2007

On Sat 10 Nov 2007, Petcher, Daniel wrote:

> Is it just my mis-perception, or is this new Apple Time Machine
> (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html) backup I hear
> described in their new "Leopard" OS (not to mention the barely-developed
> Linux clone called Flyback - http://code.google.com/p/flyback/) eerily
> familiar?
>
> Sure, they've got a pretty Apple-style GUI, some logic added to skip cache
> files, pre-configure the expiration process. and resume after a shut-down,
> but it's essentially the same idea we've been using for years.

Well, NetApp Filer-style snapshots are also eerily similar to dirvish
images. I'm sure NetApp did their thing before dirvish.
The Netapp snapshots are cooler because (a) they're pretty much
instantaneous to make, and (b) only the changed data blocks take up
space, instead of only the changed files. Of course that's because it's
implemented in the filesystem.
Disadvantage is of course that it's not a remote backup, although it's
trivial to copy out a snapshot.

Paul Slootman