[Dirvish] Hauntingly similar to Dirvish

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sun Nov 11 00:30:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 03:33:33PM -0800, Petcher, Daniel wrote:
> Is it just my mis-perception, or is this new Apple Time Machine
> (http://www.apple.com/macosx/features/timemachine.html) backup I hear
> described in their new "Leopard" OS (not to mention the barely-developed
> Linux clone called Flyback - http://code.google.com/p/flyback/) eerily
> familiar?
>
> Sure, they've got a pretty Apple-style GUI, some logic added to skip cache
> files, pre-configure the expiration process. and resume after a shut-down,
> but it's essentially the same idea we've been using for years.
>
> I'm not sure whether to feel validated or ripped-off. What do you think?

As long as I can still use dirvish, I don't mind if there are zillions
of systems out there that copy it.  We lose nothing by it, and people
doing things our way are potentially more helpful than people doing
things other ways.  This might result in new features for OS-X that
will help it interoperate with rsync, and that would help us back up
Macs onto Linux servers, for example.

Potentially more troublesome is that Apple might patent their extensions,
and preclude us from using them.  That would be a rip-off;  an opportunity
would be taken from us.  However, if Apple actually copied from dirvish
(ideas if not actual Perl code) I expect they will care more about their
"good guy" image than about harrassing folks like us.  Apple has been
pretty good about sharing most things (Rendezvous, for example).