[Dirvish] checksum=0 may be causing inaccurate backups!!!

Barton C Massey bart at cs.pdx.edu
Sat Jun 23 00:30:44 UTC 2007

In message <467B8A62.5060208 at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk> Dave wrote:
> Barton C Massey wrote:
> > It seems like it can be heavily optimized, is all I was
> > thinking.  If a new file is created with the same metadata
> > as some old file, you just need to checksum the old and new
> > files to see if they're the same?  In other words, the ctime
> > should save you here?
>
> I don't think it's to do with new files. If there's an existing file
> that appears from the metatda not to have changed, then it has to
> compute the checksums and compare them. That is, it has to compute
> checksums for almost every file in the archive, twice!

I guess I'm not sure what metadata checks are failing here.
In particular, if a file has the same ctime it had before
(and the other metadata hasn't changed), I think it's OK to
not back it up again even if the contents are now different?
As I understand it, that was the purpose of the inode ctime
field in the first place...  If the ctime of the inode at a
given path has changed, then a checksum would determine
whether we're still looking at the same file but just
harmlessly "touched" or not.  That's surely not the common
case, though, and thus not so expensive.

    Bart