[Dirvish] checksum=0 may be causing inaccurate backups!!! to exclusive)

dirvish.yklein at spamgourmet.com dirvish.yklein at spamgourmet.com
Fri Jun 22 16:46:30 UTC 2007

Keith Lofstrom - keithl at kl-ic.com wrote:
  > So, a request!   Could some of you try adding the line:
>
> checksum: 1
>
> To your dirvish master.conf file, so that dirvish runs this way
> over the weekend?

I added the checksum: 1 directive to some of my dirvish.conf files, and
it found some files that hadn't been updated in a long time. Among my
documents, it found a number of Excel files, some of which I haven't
changed since before I started using dirvish (one is over 3 years old!).
I may have opened the files in Excel at some point, and it's possible
that Excel made some changes and saved the file without asking, and
without changing the metadata. I know that Unison (the file
synchronization project) disables checking metadata for Excel and MS
Project files, and always check those file by checksums, regardless of
the user's options. I should also point out that there are many Excel
files which were not seen as changed.

Among my system files, the only thing that seemed out of the ordinary
was a large number of Javascript files in the default Firefox chrome
directory (/usr/share/firefox/chrome/) and its subdirectories. These had
not been changed in the past couple of days. Running stat on one of them
shows:

yklein at YakPC:/$ stat
usr/share/firefox/chrome/toolkit/content/mozapps/preferences/fontbuilder.js
   File:
`usr/share/firefox/chrome/toolkit/content/mozapps/preferences/fontbuilder.js'
   Size: 3165            Blocks: 8          IO Block: 4096   regular file
Device: 302h/770d       Inode: 965369      Links: 1
Access: (0644/-rw-r--r--)  Uid: (    0/    root)   Gid: (    0/    root)
Access: 2007-06-22 03:59:38.000000000 +0300
Modify: 2006-02-03 16:41:10.000000000 +0200
Change: 2007-06-16 00:25:17.000000000 +0300

All the files appear to have been changed on June 16th. Its reasonable
that I updated Firefox on that date. There are a large number of files
in that directory that didn't show up as changed now, but did get picked
up on the June 16 backup.

I hope this helps,
Yoav Klein