[Dirvish] Backing up Windows: Currently broken (current cwRsync & current Cygwin)?

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Fri Jun 22 02:16:21 UTC 2007

> A quick google turned up some timing problems on Windows that have
> ostensibly been fixed in late 2.5 versions; nothing else that seemed
> useful.
>
> I've suppressed the -x option already as that is reported to cause
> weirdness on Windows.
>
> Any more ideas or similar observations?

Last year I gave a presentation where I discussed this.
http://www.trueblade.com/media/presentations/dirvish/dirvish-dclug-2006-03-15.html

Around page 13 it talks about Windows.  The approach that I know works
involves running rsync as a daemon, not running through sshd.  The last
time I tried rsync over ssh, about 6 months ago, it still didn't work
under cygwin's version of sshd.

I spent a lot of time on this, including writing my own ssh server under
Windows.  I got my sshd server to work, but I had some buffering issues
which made it crawl.  Maybe I'll try a newer version of cygwin's sshd.
If I ever get it to work, you can be sure I'll report it here.

Hope that helps.

Eric.