[Dirvish] Dirvish over Telnet

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jan 3 13:50:01 PST 2007

On Wed, Jan 03, 2007 at 11:29:10AM +0000, Richard Bulman wrote:

> I was wondering if anybody could give me any advise on backing up a server
> using redhat 6.1, and not supporting ssh? I haven't found much out there
> regarding rsync over non ssh connections.

You can use rsh instead.  However, I suggest you add openssh, which
may be on your 6.1 distro disk, or you can find the 6.X rpm with:

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idpl/3384590/com/openssh-2.3.0p1-2.i686.rpm.html

Note that you will also need a fairly recent  rsync  and a
not-too-old  Perl 5  to run dirvish, so I suspect ssh will be the
least of your problems.  I know how hard it is to upgrade distros
(I am moving a machine from RH9 to an RHEL4 clone now) but sometimes
you have to do it, or some evil twit on the internet will "upgrade"
your ancient and exploit-heavy system for you.  :-(