[Dirvish] More than on tree per backup?

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Fri Feb 9 08:53:29 PST 2007

Richard Geoffrion wrote:
> Kelsey Cummings wrote:
>> I just wanted to check to see if anyone using dirvish had already
>> hacked                          it to allow specification of multiple
>> trees in a single config yet.                               The method

> You know... I can't for the LIFE of me figure out or make myself
> understand WHY someone would want to do that.  I didn't understanding
> back in 2006..and I don't understand now.   I guess I've never been in a
> situation that would require me to think of using dirvish in that respect.
>
> What I *CAN* understand is grouping related vaults.
<snip>

That's very similar to what I do in real life. I have:

- a physical RAID, managed with LVM
- several LVs, each is a bank. In my case each one is the name of a m/c
  but one could split it so e.g. all logs went in one bank
- each bank contains several vaults, each vault backs up an individual
  filesystem or major data structure on a host. The vault name is
  host-filesystem, so that each vault name is globally unique.

This gives me the ability to use different backup strategies for
different types of data on each machine, and flexible management of the
physical storage. I can grow LVs as and when needed and can move some
vaults or banks onto new disks if I need/want.

It also means that if there's ever a problem with a particular backup,
it doesn't stop all the other filesystems being backed up. For example,
the database backup on one machine fails once a fortnight because
another housekeeping process is using it intensively that night, but it
doesn't matter.

Cheers, Dave