[Dirvish] Offsite Disks

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Thu Aug 23 08:59:28 UTC 2007

Steve Ramage wrote:
> everyday after dirvish is done running
> doing an rsync of the vault with the external USB disk to sync them up
> (I'm hoping this would preserve the hardlinking structure).

Sadly not, in my experience.

I have dirvish make a vault (it's actually a local historical mirror of
a remote server rather than a backup as such). Then I want to keep a
backup copy of this mirror - i.e. an exact copy of the vault. Obviously
I don't want to copy the entire vault every time, I just want to update
the copy. So I tried dirvish but found it replaced the hard links with
copies of the files. I tried using rsync by itself but it had the same
problem.

What I've ended up doing is using rdiff-backup to make the copy. It is a
bit like dirvish but instead of using the rsync executable it uses
librsync, which is an alternate implementation of the algorithm. The
actual commands I use are:

/usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup /MIRROR/VAULT /BACKUP/COPY
/usr/local/bin/rdiff-backup --force --remove-older-than 2D /BACKUP/COPY

This works for me. YMMV.

Cheers, Dave