[Dirvish] Offsite Disks

Steve Ramage dirvishusersspammedme at sjrx.net
Thu Aug 23 04:54:13 UTC 2007

I've actually been backing up all my data currently to my Linux box,
that has one hard drive with all my images. I've been giving some
thought to complimenting this with offsite disks but I'm debating on the
exact procedure on how to do this. After a few years of running dirvish
I seem to have capped out at around 32G of data being backed up. My
current thought is to obtain two removable USB disks, and keep one
hooked up to the machine. Then everyday after dirvish is done running
doing an rsync of the vault with the external USB disk to sync them up
(I'm hoping this would preserve the hardlinking structure). I could then
switch these disks out around once a month. I'm not particularly
concerned with loosing data newer than a month, since I'm really only on
my notebook now, and that's almost always with me. I also don't feel
like heading to the safety deposit box every day to do it more often.

Thoughts?

Steve Ramage