[Dirvish] problems initializing image

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 09:42:56 UTC 2007

I wrote:
> Paul Slootman wrote:
>> One thing you could try: remove the zxfer option, there have been case
>> known that requesting the compression leads to mutual timeouts.
>
> I'll try that, thanks. Most of the files are .gz so I don't suppose
> compression is very helpful anyway.

Here's a little more information. I ran rsync directly from the command
line with mixed results:

(1) It still encountered the error after eight hours or so, even without
the -z compression option.  So the basic problem is nothing to do with
dirvish, it must be an rsync problem perhaps triggered by a problem on
the underlying systems.

(2) This time, I still have the partially transferred image intact. So I
can retry and hopefully will eventually succeed in establishing an
initial image. But this implies that it was dirvish that deletes the
partial image when things go wrong, which seems like a bug to me. I'll
see if I can track down exactly what happens.

Cheers, Dave