[Dirvish] problems initializing image

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 13:07:58 UTC 2007

Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Mon 06 Aug 2007, Dave Howorth wrote:
>> Asheesh Laroia wrote:
>>> Are you using rsync over SSH?
>> No, it's an rsyncd server. I should have mentioned that.
>
> Then you could remove the "rsh: ssh" line from the config :)

Hmm, interesting. I assume you spotted the 'rsh: ssh' line in the
summary file, which I hadn't noticed. But there's no occurrence of
either 'rsh' or 'ssh' in either the main config file or the vault's own.
I guess it's reporting a dirvish default.

> One thing you could try: remove the zxfer option, there have been case
> known that requesting the compression leads to mutual timeouts.

I'll try that, thanks. Most of the files are .gz so I don't suppose
compression is very helpful anyway.

> Another thing may be interfering, and that is if you're going through a
> NAT firewall. If too long passes without any traffic (e.g. the
> generating the file list takes very long because there are many files)
> then the firewall may timeout the NAT mapping and then the connection is
> lost. Using ssh with ProtocolKeepAlive settings or such may help keep
> the link "alive" in that case.

I am NATted but I haven't seen any problems in the past several years.
Not to say that something hasn't changed, of course. But it seems to be
dying during normal file transfer, so unless the server's broken ...

Cheers, Dave