[Dirvish] Tips for low-bandwidth backups

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 10:36:20 UTC 2007

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> The initial image is done, it's just that the other site generated a lot
> of data that should get backed up.  Most days there will be a tiny
> differential, but some days there will be a huge differential - so big
> that it could take around a week to push it all up.

Ah, sorry, I misunderstood. You'll need to wrap the call to dirvish with
a test. That is, write a script that does a test and then calls dirvish
and put that script in your crontab. You could test for:
- a running dirvish process
- one of the temporary files in the active image (e.g. log.tmp)
- you could create your own lock file before running dirvish and remove
it afterwards, and test for the existence of that.

Cheers, Dave