[Dirvish] Tips for low-bandwidth backups

Dave Howorth dhoworth at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Mon Aug 6 09:04:43 UTC 2007

Asheesh Laroia wrote:
> I have one server whose upload speed is only about 40 KB/s.  I want to
> back it up to a remote server despite the slow link.  I want to start by
> asking generally: Does anyone have any tips for this sort of slow
> scenario?

There used to be a saying that the highest bandwidth link between London
and Manchester was a van full of tapes. I suspect it's still true. The
obvious suggestion is to carry the initial image on tape or disk rather
than use a slow network connection. But if you don't want to do that ...

> I can live with these weeks-long connections when necessary, but my
> question is: How can I get dirvish to not start a new job while the same
> backup job is already running successfully (albeit slowly)?

There are at least two options:

(1) simplest. Just run the initial dirvish command on the command line
instead of as a cron job. Only edit the cron file after it's finished:

  dirvish --vault your-vault --init

(2) If you really want to use a cron job for some reason, add the
command to the cron file, wait until it's started running, then comment
it out of the cron file until it's finished.

HTH, Dave