[Dirvish] Tips for low-bandwidth backups

Asheesh Laroia asheesh at asheesh.org
Mon Aug 6 05:54:42 UTC 2007

I have one server whose upload speed is only about 40 KB/s.  I want to
back it up to a remote server despite the slow link.  I want to start by
asking generally: Does anyone have any tips for this sort of slow
scenario?

I have had a few problems.  First of all, the SSH connection would keep
getting reset by peer, but I've solved that with "ServerAliveInterval 3"
in the ~/.ssh/config.

The big problem I'm having is that while an incremental backup job for
2007-08-01 is running, 24 hours will pass and dirvish will start the
2007-08-02 job, and so on, meaning that they'll now compete with each
other.  I thought I could hack around this by setting the cron job to just
fire every week, but apparently even that's not long enough for a full
backup job to finish.  Once the really big one finishes, they'll probably

I can live with these weeks-long connections when necessary, but my
question is: How can I get dirvish to not start a new job while the same
backup job is already running successfully (albeit slowly)?

Thanks!

-- Asheesh.

--
Avoid contact with eyes.