[Dirvish] Use existing backup as first snapshot?

Roel Schroeven rschroev_nospam_ml at fastmail.fm
Wed May 31 07:52:45 UTC 2006

Hi,

I'd like to start using Dirvish for our backups. We have a remote backup
server with a simple DIY rsync-based backup system.

The connection with the remote backup server isn't exactly the fastest
though, and also there's a bandwidth cap on our connection. Therefore,
in order to reduce the amount of data transferred, I'd like to use the
existing backup data as the first snapshot.

I was thinking about making vaults with dirvish/default.conf pointing to
the local backup, running dirvish a first time, then changing
dirvish/default.conf to point to the client with the real data. The
problem is, I'm not sure that changing dirvish/default.conf in that way
doesn't mess up anything.

Does that sound like a good approach? Or is there perhaps a better way?

Roel Schroeven