[Dirvish] Bandwidth limiting Dirvish

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Tue May 23 16:54:26 UTC 2006

dan wrote:
> I'm using Dirvish to backup over the Internet from site to site.  I want
> to know if there is a way to bandwidth limit the backup without using a
> firewall rule.  Can I add in a trickle option to the Dirvish created
> rsync command?

You don't even need to go that far.

There's already an option to Dirvish that'll pass that long.

Search for speed-limit in the man page.

       speed-limit: Mbps (S)
        Specify a maximum transfer rate.

        This  allows  you  to  limit the network bandwidth consumed.  The
        value is specified in approximate Mega-bits per second which cor-
        relates  to  network transport specifications.  An adaptive algo-
        rithm is used so the actual bandwidth usage may exceed Mbps occa-
        sionally.

        See --bwlimit in rsync(1) for more details.