[Dirvish] how to make sure no other dirvish instance is running

Richard Geoffrion dirvish at rain4us.net
Tue May 23 15:41:35 UTC 2006

Dirk Wessner wrote:

>Hello list,
>
>I would like to run dirvish-runall hourly.
>But what if the last run did not yet finish?
>Does dirvish take care of this or do I have
>to make sure that dirvish never runs simultaneously?
>What would happen if run simultaneously?
>
>Thanks in advance,

'touch' a file before starting your dirvish process and delete it when
you are done.  When the next instance wants to start, make it delay
running until the touched file is gone.  Maybe you could write a pid
file to /var/run?

When my dirvish process doesn't finish for whatever reason, and multiple
dirvish processes start running on top of each other I experience very
heavy file server utilization.

--
Richard  | /"\    ASCII Ribbon Campaign