[Dirvish] dirvish-expire trouble with read only vault directories ?

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri May 12 09:42:24 UTC 2006

On Thu 11 May 2006, Tony wrote:

> I've had divish (v1.2.1) working for over a month now, doing daily
> backups from my various systems at home.
>
> However, when dirvish-expire runs from crontab, it emails me a huge message with a whole lot of lines that say basically :
>
>    rm: cannot remove `/backup/pictures/20060328/tree/image001.jpg': Permission denied
>
> A quick look at the permissions for the ./tree directory shows :  dr-xr-xr-x.
>
> I'm running both dirvish and dirvish-expire as a normal user (not root) so it appears dirvish is setting the directory as read-only and dirvish-expire cannot deal with that.

Hmm, I don't know what other gotchas you may run into when not running
dirvish as root...

> Do I have to run dirvish-expire as root to fix this ?  I'd rather not do that.

You could use a post-server command to chmod the "tree" directory after
the backup run is complete, so that later dirvish-expires will be
successful.

In the meantime you could do "chmod +w */*/tree" from the bank
directory...

Paul Slootman