[Dirvish] A few simple Dirvish Questions

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon May 1 09:25:25 UTC 2006

On Mon 01 May 2006, Brian wrote:

> 1. For example image-default: %Y%m%d
>
> Where is there a list of the parameters I can use here?
> I must be too blind to find then.

>From the dirvish.conf manpage:

  image: image_name (S)
     Specify a name for the image.

     image_name is passed through POSIX::strftime

     Setting this in a config file may cause the command line option to  be  overridden.
     Use image-default: instead.

     See strftime(3) for more details.

So, check the strftime manpage.

> 2. Along the same lines, if I use the above parms and try to run dirvish
> twice on the same day, it will complain, something about a backup set
> with the same name already existing. So how to I get around that problem?

Add an hour value? %H

> # ./dirvish-runall
> 09:52:51 dirvish --vault brian
> 09:52:51 dirvish --vault vdr
> 09:52:51 done
>
> So I guess my master.conf is OK. But it never actually backs anything
> up. How can I debug that?

Hmm, no idea.

> Now, if I say "./dirvish --vault brian", then it will backup brian OK
> and creates a new backupset in the vault brian. Same with vdr.
>
> 4. In default.conf the tree statement. How can I put multiple
> directories on that? Or do I need to use a higher lever directory and
> then use exclude statements?

You can't use multiple directories. Either use multiple vaults (not a
bad idea if there aren't any hardlinked files between the directories),
or indeed use a higher directory and exclude that what you don't want
backupped.

Paul Slootman