[Dirvish] Keep a smaller backup offsite?

Chris Dunning chris at bluenoteweb.com
Sun Mar 19 08:59:22 EST 2006

I use Dirvish to back up all of the computers in my shop to a server in
the shop.  I've recently purchased some new computers and some new disks
so I'm still working out the kinks on how far back to store those
backups, but it's looking like about 30 days.

The only thing that worries me about this setup is some sort of physical
catastrophe in the shop - fire, tornado, breakin, etc - that wipes out
all of the computers AND the backup server, leaving me with nothing to
restore from.  I'd like to keep a copy of those backups off-site
somewhere (probably my house) but not necessarily 30 days worth.  I
think if I had 10 days off backups off-site I'd be more than happy.

My biggest roadblock is the networking.  I can't SSH directly to all of
the computers in the shop.  I only have one publicly accessible IP for
each location (home and shop) that connects to a router.  All of the
machines in each location can access each other across the local
network, but across the greater internet I can only hit the one machine
set up with port forwarding on the router.

Probably there's an RSYNC switch somewhere that I can use but I'm not
expert on this, maybe someone here can help me out.  The idea is:

-each night @11 PM the shop server backs up all computers in the shop,
rotating images, storing 30 days worth of backups
-each morning @ 2 AM (allowing more than enough time for the shop backup
to complete) the server here at the house connects to the shop server
and rsyncs the latest images from each vault, only storing 10 days' worth.

Alternately, could I set up Dirvish to automatically connect from my
house to the shop server, then from there to the other machines in turn,
storing completely separate images?