[Dirvish] Expire or Archive?

Nathan Hunsperger dirvish at hunsperger.com
Thu Mar 16 01:12:41 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 15, 2006 at 02:36:30PM -0600, Richard Geoffrion wrote:
> Paul Slootman wrote:
> ><more snippage>
> >Using S.M.A.R.T. tools to let the IDE disks execute selftests
> >(preferably at idle times) is very useful,
> >

> Unfortunately, I've been unsuccessful in reading my SMART settings for
> the SATA II drives that I'm using via my 3Ware RAID card.  And let me
> tell you, I've had five drive failures in two years across 20
> Maxtor-Maxline PlusII 250gig'ers!

I haven't used SATA II drives or the new 3ware SATA II controllers,
but the 7, 8, and 9 series are all supposed to support SMART reading.
I have used both of the following methods in the past on older cards
(from the 3ware KB):

tw_cli info c<controller> p<port> smart

or

smartctl --device=3ware,<port> -a <controller device>
(smartmontools)

- Nathan