[Dirvish] Expire or Archive?

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Mar 15 14:44:49 EST 2006

As always, I'm grateful that there are helpful folks on this list
who can guide new dirvish users like Shawn.  Thanks!

I could not answer his expire question, because I don't use it myself.
I rotate drives, and when they fill up I retire them to archival
storage and build new drives.   I do this about once a year.  That
means I have daily images all the way back to dirvish day 1.  I have
gone back to the archives a few times;  sometimes the history of files
tells me about the history of a project.

I worry that the cheap IDE drives that many of us use for dirvish may
not last very long, and thus long term usage with expires may put the
earliest archival copies at risk.  On the other hand, a drive sitting
in storage may suffer from bit rot;  the magnetic information may
decay if it is not actively rewritten from time to time.  On the
third hand(!), files may get lost off of active drives, too.  Rebuilding
new dirvish drives from time to time means that all files are getting
completely copied.

How many of you are running expire, and how many are just archiving
drives?  The expire feature is important and needs active development,
but that will require contributions and testing by people that use the
expire.  It is difficult to test if you don't normally use it!