Missing files, was Re: [Dirvish] How I restored a laptop

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sat Jun 24 19:43:45 UTC 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 15:29, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:45:30PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
> > This is not a request for help, but a description of how I restored
> > a laptop hard drive - the hard way.  I thought it would be educational.
>
> Another blunder discovered.
>
> Tripwire ran last night on the laptop, using the old signature
> files, and I learned that my hardlinks were not getting backed
> up.  I had become complacent, and was running rsync version
> 2.6.4 (11 Mar 2005) on my backup server, rather than the
> latest 2.6.8 (22 Apr 2006) .  The older version had a known
> problem with incomplete hardlinking from sources.

I think this may be fixed in the version in Debian Sarge, even though it's
still 2.6.4:

From changelog.Debian.gz:

rsync (2.6.4-3) unstable; urgency=low

  * Added comment to /etc/default/rsync that the rsyncd.conf specified there
    is not used when accessing the daemon via a remote shell.
    closes:#298002
  * Correctly report whether what we're not creating is a file or a directory.
    closes:#142258
  * Concat the upstream NEWS & OLDNEWS together as changelog instead of as-is.
    closes:#306250
  * assorted recommended patches from upstream, collected in debian/patches/
    in the source package:
    - fix for sending a single file with -H
    - improper handling of --one-file-system in some cases
    - --link-dest / --hard-links problem
    - new hard-links in not-yet-created directories

--

Jason Boxman
http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff