Missing files, was Re: [Dirvish] How I restored a laptop

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Sat Jun 24 19:29:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, Jun 23, 2006 at 10:45:30PM -0700, Keith Lofstrom wrote:

> This is not a request for help, but a description of how I restored
> a laptop hard drive - the hard way.  I thought it would be educational.

Another blunder discovered.

Tripwire ran last night on the laptop, using the old signature
files, and I learned that my hardlinks were not getting backed
up.  I had become complacent, and was running rsync version
2.6.4 (11 Mar 2005) on my backup server, rather than the
latest 2.6.8 (22 Apr 2006) .  The older version had a known
problem with incomplete hardlinking from sources.

Note that 2.6.8 may treat special characters differently; that
is not a problem for me, but perhaps a problem with non-english
character sets in file names.  If this is a problem for you,
the hard-link fix is in versions 2.6.5 (1 June 2005) and
2.6.6 (28 July 2005) which do not have the character set
extensions.  Could someone running an Asian character set
test this with rsync 2.6.8?

The missing files were mostly in /usr/lib/locale, and I found
them on the first image in the usr vault for the laptop.  I've
now upgraded rsync, run more backups, and everything is fine.

Which brings up a potential dirvish improvement (if anyone
wants to do some perl coding).   Should we perform an additional
"rsync --version" for server and client, and include the output
in the log files, along with a dirvish version number?  It
might help with debugging.  The rsync --version will require
another ssh connect to the client.