[Dirvish] How I restored a laptop

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sat Jun 24 16:04:52 UTC 2006

On Saturday 24 June 2006 01:45, Keith Lofstrom wrote:
<snip>
> I hope this helps you, if you ever need to restore over the
> network.  After I get some feedback from you folks, I will copy
> this to the wiki so the rest of you can improve the procedure.
> Yes, we need a more automated approach.  Who wants to write
> some perl?

I had been wanting to write a network-based restore server for ages, but the
utility of such a creation is relatively small.  Such a server would need to
understand about partitions, boot time configurations, and kernels.

For the effort involved it would probably be better to configure an existing
tool, like Debian's FAI, and use that to build an install server.  Then, lost
machines can simply be brought up to whatever a typical base install is and
the data restored from a backup server.  Of course, that's somewhat overkill
for a network of only a dozen machines, making a restore server attractive --
unless the dozen machines may become two dozen in a few months or years.

So, I never actually got around to it.  I ended up writing a guide for
pbuilder[1] Debian package backports instead and looking into but never
setting up or documenting network ghosting of Windows with g4u[2].

Never enough time in the day, eh? :)

[1] http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/pbuilder_backports/
[2] http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

--