[Dirvish] dirvish not making hard links but copying files, consuming much space

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Thu Jun 15 11:02:06 UTC 2006

On Thursday 15 June 2006 11:25, Team Bloombox spake thus:
> servers before did all the backups with user root but then changing rights
> of backuped files to user tapeback:root to ensure, that a "tapeback" user
> was able to catch those files from that machine (and no need to use root
> account). Now dirvish came and I simply set up the vaults below the
> "normal" backup path. I changed the previous backup to only backup log
> files, mysql dump and so on, but forgot, that this script was still
> changing permissions to tapeback:root.
> And I think you're right when you're guessing, that this permission issue
> makes dirvish go "mad".

Yes, that is clearly it.  rsync can't hardlink if the inode properties are
different, including in particular the owner characteristics, permissions,
dates, etc.  I don't know the list off by heart, but in your case the owner
is the pb.

Remove the ownership change and you will be OK.  No need for the rsync debug
log analysis I mentionned in a previous mail any more.

Cheers,
Eric
--
Eric Mountain