[Dirvish] dirvish not making hard links but copying files, consuming much space

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Sun Jun 11 17:03:57 UTC 2006

On Sunday 11 June 2006 16:55, Team Bloombox spake thus:
> Hi Eric,
>
> the script runs as root. It's a debian package installation. Debian put's
> the following cron script into cron.d:
>
> # run every night
> 4 23 * * *     root     /etc/dirvish/dirvish-cronjob
>
> I just found out another thing, which needs to be mentioned, I guess. On
> another system, which also runs dirvish and which makes a backup of the
> nemesis41 webserver too (the one which is causing the problem) the backup
> just runs fine. It only consumes about 100MB per run as proposed by
> dirvish. And as far as I can see: No files are missing and only changed
> files are backuped ...
> And I think the issue belongs to that very special machine .... :-(

Looks like it may be a good idea to make dirvish run rsync in verbose mode on
both machines and compare output for 2 runs that should be similar.  A
tedious task unfortunately...

I would still like to know the following:  What is the output of stat
for /etc/apache2/apache2.conf?

In fact, I would also like to know the output of stat for backups of the above
file on the backup server that works OK too please.

My current guess is that the file is owned by root on the master server, and
that backups of the file are owned by tapeback on the server that doesn't
work which is causing rsync to consider it can't hardlink the files because
the owner doesn't match.  Presumably, the file ownership on the backup server
that works is correct which is why the hardlinking works as expected.  Just a
guess...

[ I'm in the South of France and despite my occasionnal mail this afternoon I
am actually making the most of the great weather (and gently recovering from
a late night). ]

Cheers,
Eric
--