[Dirvish] dirvish not making hard links but copying files, consuming much space

Team Bloombox dirvish at bloombox.de
Sun Jun 11 09:47:30 UTC 2006

Hi Keith,

I'm afraid the files really haven't changed. I took nemesis41.key for an
example, as this normally isn't touched by any script - why should it?
Here's the ouput of a "ls -l":

-rw-r--r--  1 root root 891 2005-06-20 14:00 /etc/apache2/ssl/nemesis41.key

It's still of June 20th, 2006 ... :-\

> You can tell whether the files really change by doing a
> "diff" an individual file in the original image and in the
> extra image.  If there is not enough room to store both, then
> you can experiment with a very small vault with just a few
> files in it - do that for a few days and see if you get the
> duplication behavior.
I guess, that's what I should do next. I hoped someone would have an
explanation for that behaviour, so I didn't checked that before. Sorry. ;-\

> If the files are have a date change, and you cannot find out
> the reason, you can run dirvish with the --checksum flag and
> see if the files are still copied.  The --checksum is slower
> than looking at the date change, but your vaults are only 5GB
> so that would not take too long for you.  If the files are
> identical and the path does not change, but they are still
> getting copied by rsync with --checksum, then we have an
> interesting new problem and I hope you will help us find that.
Sure I will. I'm very interested in finding a solution! Please see my answer
to another posting as it deals with the file changes.

> BTW, you can do us a favor.  Many of our new German friends
> are here because of an article in c'T magazine.  Could you
> find a URL for that article so we can add a link on the
> dirvish website for it?
The problem is: They are still selling that article through the web. It's
not freely available - and I guess it's not allowed to post it somewhere on
the web. Have you already asked them if you are allowed to put it on your
website? Should I do that for you? Maybe they will make it available freely
after some weeks?

Best regards,
Jens