[Dirvish] Images in a directory tree

dirvish at GMxTechnologies.com dirvish at GMxTechnologies.com
Sat Jun 3 05:03:25 UTC 2006

Hi.
> You could try a post-* hook.  Your image-default: could be %d and you could
> have a shell script `mkdir` the appropriate directory and move the %d image
> into its %Y/%m hierarchy afterwards, perhaps.
>
> That'll probably break `dirvish-expire`, though.

Also, I suspect it would break the indexes, too?
>> I wondered if you could fake out the "image-default" with something like
>> "%Y/%m/%d" (or some other magic to get the /'s in there)?
>>

> No, it's passed to Perl's Time::CTime strftime()

Yeah, I guessed it was something like that, but bummer ...
> Wouldn't it be easier to extend the existing system to keep images around for
> seven years?  I don't quite follow where Dirvish is used in your backup
> model?
Dirvish *is* the historical component ... the current backup system is
capable of 1 image only ... no history.  :(

Another option we are looking at is if, legally, we can keep 1 year's
worth of dailies, then 6 more yearly rollups (or some combination
thereof).  That would certainly cut down on the number of directories
per vault.

I'm just partial to tree structures for massive data/logs/etc like
this...  :)

Thanks,
Sam