[Dirvish] Images in a directory tree

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Sat Jun 3 04:46:16 UTC 2006

On Saturday 03 June 2006 00:36, dirvish at GMxTechnologies.com wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I am looking to implement Dirvish as the historical archive component of
> our backup system (we already have a tool that grabs the desired data,
> encrypts it, and dumps it on a Linux box in a directory-per-client).
>
> All this seems fine, but one requirement we will have is 7 years of
> retention.  That's about 2500 subdirectories of images!?!
>
> Is there any way to make the image directories a tree like:

You could try a post-* hook.  Your image-default: could be %d and you could
have a shell script `mkdir` the appropriate directory and move the %d image
into its %Y/%m hierarchy afterwards, perhaps.

That'll probably break `dirvish-expire`, though.

> /bank/vault/2006/
>                06/
>                   01/
>                   02/
>                   03/
>

> I wondered if you could fake out the "image-default" with something like
> "%Y/%m/%d" (or some other magic to get the /'s in there)?

No, it's passed to Perl's Time::CTime strftime().

> Anyone tried this, or even better, gotten something like it to work?

Wouldn't it be easier to extend the existing system to keep images around for
seven years?  I don't quite follow where Dirvish is used in your backup
model?

--

Jason Boxman
http://edseek.com/ - Linux and FOSS stuff