[Dirvish] Why is dirvish in /usr/sbin?

Johannes Kastl bierkastl at freenet.de
Mon Jul 10 15:16:41 UTC 2006

Am 10.07.2006 00:08 schrieb Eric Mountain:

> I agree it is debatable...  I guess an individual user could want to run
> dirvish to run backups within their own home directory for instance.

Like me.

> In the
> general case however, dirivish does not work well unless it is run as root
> (because it has to copy ownership, permissions etc. exactly).

Unless some files I want to backup or not readable to me, or the
directory I want to backup to is not writable, I would guess it should
work.

> That is packaged by Paul Slootman who hangs around this list.  He already
> provided insight on his reasons for packaging it this way in this mail:
> http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2004-December/000030.html

Thanks, Ill have a look.

> If you're backing up files you don't own, you'll have problems duplicating
> ownership attributes and permissions, which in turn will lead to rsync being
> unable to hardlink files between backups.  See this thread for an example of
> someone hitting this problem:
> http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2006-June/000853.html

I would take care that this is not the case. Im just backing up my
home on my single-user-machine.

OJ
--
The presence of those seeking the truth is infinitely to be preferred
to the presence of those who think they 've found it.