[Dirvish] Why is dirvish in /usr/sbin?

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Sun Jul 9 20:50:30 UTC 2006

On Sunday 09 July 2006 16:06, Johannes Kastl spake thus:
> I finally had time to check out dirvish, and do some larger tests.
> First thing I noticed that it somehow got installed into /usr/sbin. Is
> there any special reason for it?

http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html#USRSBINNONESSENTIALSTANDARDSYSTEMBI

<Quote>
/usr/sbin : Non-essential standard system binaries
Purpose

This directory contains any non-essential binaries used exclusively by the
system administrator. System administration programs that are required for
system repair, system recovery, mounting /usr, or other essential functions
must be placed in /sbin instead.
</Quote>

Of course, where it really gets installed depends on whether you use a package
supplied by your distro or not, and if so, what your distro chooses to do.
If instead you package/install it yourself, then it of course depends on
where you choose to install it yourself...  If you have both a distro package
and your own install, then check your PATH to see which one is being used.

Cheers,
Eric
--
Eric Mountain