[Dirvish] Updating/overwriting existing images

Samuel P Howard dirvish at GMxTechnologies.com
Tue Aug 8 02:47:12 UTC 2006

<stuff>
> No, I don't believe it should.
>
> Snapshots are point-in-time.  That it cannot be later updated should be
> considered a feature.  By definition it isn't a backup if it's subject to
> change at anytime
I was under the impression that Dirvish was designed to be a backup
tool, not just a point-in-time snapshot utility.

So, based on your feature, if a dirvish image creation fails 99%
complete, your solution is to destroy the entire image and run the whole
job over?  That seems a bit inefficient, doesn't it?  After all, the one
of the best features of the underlying rsync tool is to *not* do painful
things like that, isn't it?

In any case, this just ends up in a religious argument, and I'm not very
interested in getting into one of those.  The end result is that I have
no clean solution to my problem, and have to fall back on either hacking
Dirvish (not really what I want to do), or brute force destroy and
re-create (not exactly what I want to do, either).

For now, the brute force method is really my only short term
implementation option, so now I have to figure out how to manually
expire an image so that the indexes get cleaned up properly ... I am
assuming that the dirvish-expire process cleans up indexes ... does it?

--Sam