[Dirvish] Running dirvish at computer startup

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Apr 24 05:39:53 EDT 2006

On Mon 24 Apr 2006, Johannes Kastl wrote:

> my PC is not running all day, so I would like to run drivish at
> startup. Is there anything I must know, or is it just putting the
> command in /etc/init.d/boot.local (on my Suse 9.3)?

I'd check to see if Suse has something like anacron (available in at
least Debian) which is especially for running "daily" things on systems
that aren't on 24/7. It starts those jobs (if necessary! booting 2 x on
one day means it runs only the 1st time) sometime after booting.

I'd expect that things run from /etc/init.d/boot.local will cause the
boot sequence to be delayed until those things are complete. Dirvish can
take some time (depending on used space etc.), so I don't think you want
to be waiting for 10 minutes before you can log in ...

Paul Slootman