[Dirvish] dirvish-expire does not delete expired images

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Thu Sep 29 08:33:25 PDT 2005

On Thu 29 Sep 2005, Antonio Cardoso Martins wrote:

> Even if there are no good images in the vault, dirvish-expire should delete
> expired images, as they are really expired, right?

No, I agree with the current behaviour.
For example, one of the systems being backed up crashes. It takes a week
to get a replacement disk. The expire is set for one week. I would be
disappointed if the last known good backup would be expired.

> This is a vault for a windows client, and it takes so much time, that there
> is always either "file vanished on sender" due to the time it takes to
> rsync, or "partial transfer", due to a "failed: File name too long (91)" in
> rsync.
> Even if we don't care about those two errors, this vault never expires any
> image, and it will eventually fill our backup filesystem.

I've modified my dirvish so that "file vanished on sender" is not an
error, so that problem doesn't happen here... This was discussed on the
list some time ago, I believe.

Paul Slootman