[Dirvish] dirvish and root password

Jon Radel jon at radel.com
Tue Sep 20 06:52:19 PDT 2005

michael wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 13:59 +0100, Brian Scanlan wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>On 9/20/05, michael <linux at networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
>>
>>>I'm guessing that I should also be setting up a 'dirvish' user on both
>>>the server and each/every client (!), changing permissions, running (3)
>>>as dirvish?
>>
>>>From /usr/share/doc/dirvish/HOWTO.Debian.gz -
>>
>>"- If running dirvish over the network is intended, you may want to investigate
>>  setting up ssh so that rsync will run over ssh without passwords or
>>  passphrases being asked. This is basically an ssh FAQ... search for
>>  authorized_keys and/or ssh-agent."
>>
>>Personally, I run dirvish from sudo as the "backup" user that's
>>already created on Debian. My installation process for each server is
>>the same, but also has a step like:
>>
>>4) mkdir ~backup/.ssh; cat > ~backup.ssh/authorized_keys (paste public
>>key here) ; chown -R backup:backup ~backup/.ssh
>>

> I set up ssh logins from server (loginName1) to client (loginName2) but
> I was wondering about usernames and 'dirvish' user doesn't seem to be
> set up by default:
>
> michael at ratty:/data/mp3$ su dirvish
> Unknown id: dirvish
>
> Are you implying I should set up a user 'dirvish' on all machines and
> use that and that then I will not be asked for root password on the
> servers (since I have it not!)?

I'm curious, were you hoping to backup all files on the client machines?
  Unless you have sudo privileges broad enough so that you probably
could just set the root password and then put it back later, the lack of
root password strikes me as incompatible with configuring things so that
rsync runs as root or equivalent.

In any case, the primary message I took away from Brian Scanlan's answer
was that you should consider using certificates with ssh.  Then you
don't need to give any password for the client side.  If you don't
encrypt the private side with a key, you don't have to give a pass
phrase on the server side at run time either.  While certificates are
not a perfect solution, I suspect that the consensus would be that they
beat hard coding passwords, particularly root passwords, into the
scripts on the server side.

After that the consensus gets a bit looser.  Many feel that using a
"dirvish" user on the client side with sudo is the best way to proceed.
  I've never been convinced that this is fundamentally much more secure
than using a certificate that is locked down pretty tight on the client
side ssh server, in other words, is configured to not allow general
logins, but only access to the rsync command.

--Jon Radel
jon at radel.com