[Dirvish] dirvish and root password

michael linux at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 06:17:18 PDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-20 at 13:59 +0100, Brian Scanlan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 9/20/05, michael <linux at networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:
> >
> > I'm guessing that I should also be setting up a 'dirvish' user on both
> > the server and each/every client (!), changing permissions, running (3)
> > as dirvish?
>
> >From /usr/share/doc/dirvish/HOWTO.Debian.gz -
>
> "- If running dirvish over the network is intended, you may want to investigate
>   setting up ssh so that rsync will run over ssh without passwords or
>   passphrases being asked. This is basically an ssh FAQ... search for
>   authorized_keys and/or ssh-agent."
>
> Personally, I run dirvish from sudo as the "backup" user that's
> already created on Debian. My installation process for each server is
> the same, but also has a step like:
>
> 4) mkdir ~backup/.ssh; cat > ~backup.ssh/authorized_keys (paste public
> key here) ; chown -R backup:backup ~backup/.ssh

I set up ssh logins from server (loginName1) to client (loginName2) but
I was wondering about usernames and 'dirvish' user doesn't seem to be
set up by default:

michael at ratty:/data/mp3$ su dirvish
Unknown id: dirvish

Are you implying I should set up a user 'dirvish' on all machines and
use that and that then I will not be asked for root password on the
servers (since I have it not!)?

Ta, Michael