[Dirvish] dirvish and root password

Brian Scanlan brian.scanlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 20 05:59:30 PDT 2005

Hi,

On 9/20/05, michael <linux at networkingnewsletter.org.uk> wrote:

> I'm guessing that I should also be setting up a 'dirvish' user on both
> the server and each/every client (!), changing permissions, running (3)
> as dirvish?

>From /usr/share/doc/dirvish/HOWTO.Debian.gz -

"- If running dirvish over the network is intended, you may want to investigate
  setting up ssh so that rsync will run over ssh without passwords or
  passphrases being asked. This is basically an ssh FAQ... search for
  authorized_keys and/or ssh-agent."

Personally, I run dirvish from sudo as the "backup" user that's
already created on Debian. My installation process for each server is
the same, but also has a step like:

4) mkdir ~backup/.ssh; cat > ~backup.ssh/authorized_keys (paste public
key here) ; chown -R backup:backup ~backup/.ssh

Brian.