[Dirvish] dirvish and root password

michael linux at networkingnewsletter.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 05:08:41 PDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 12:42 -0600, Ben Luey wrote:
> There was some discussion on this a while ago.
>
> http://www.dirvish.org/pipermail/dirvish/2005-June/000387.html
>
> contains what I did to use dirvish with sudo instead of full root access.
> There were other solutions posted on that thread.
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Ben

I've tried following this but to no avail. I think maybe I've
misunderstood something about how to run Dirvish so can I ask whether
this is correct (based on 'dirvish for Debian' by Paul Slootman):

backup machine ('server'):
1)  set up a master.conf
2)  set up a /snapshot/client-name/dirvish/default.conf for each
client-name
3)  run 'sudo dirvish --vault client-name --init'

clients:
0)  do nothing

But when I run (3), even following Ben's instructions, it still asks for
root password on client-name:

michael at ratty:/etc/dirvish$ sudo dirvish --vault ironlung --init
root at ironlung.phy.umist.ac.uk's password:

I'm guessing that I should also be setting up a 'dirvish' user on both
the server and each/every client (!), changing permissions, running (3)
as dirvish?

Thanks, Michael