[Dirvish] dirvish and root password

Jason Boxman jasonb at edseek.com
Fri Sep 16 07:34:12 PDT 2005

michael said:
> I can't see anything in the dirvish FAQ or manual page about this so can
> somebody tell me why dirvish requires the root password on the client
> and how to circumvent this (I've sudo on the client but not the root
> password)? Thanks,

It's not so much the root password as root access.

Typically, to preserve permissions fully, Dirvish runs `rsync` as root on
the target machine.

There has been some independent activity to allow Dirvish to work with
`sudo`, so if you search the list you will find some discussion, and
possibly answers, on how to accomplish this.  I forget if someone had a
successful `sudo` setup or not.

I believe someone would need to add the correct `rsync` command to the
/etc/sudoers file for your user in order for this to work properly.  You'd
also need to inject the password somehow noninteractively if `sudo` prompts
you for each command or periodically for your password to run allowed
commands as root.