[Dirvish] need advice to mirror a (big) dirvish backup partition to another server

Nicolas Schmitz Nicolas.Schmitz at ec-nantes.fr
Mon Sep 12 00:27:05 PDT 2005

Hello,
I'm a *happy* user of  dirvish. I use it on a big nas on which I have a
lot of disk : 2 partition of 4Tera and one of 2Tera (8U server, 31 400g
disk on 3 3ware). It works great. (I only use the nas to backup other
servers with dirvish)

The problem is that we are a little bit paranoid here, and I'd like to
mirror those backups on another nas, which is not on the same location.

We have a dedicated 1giga link between the 2 servers.

The problem is that when I try to rsync (rsync -a -H) a directory
containing a set of backup it fails, except if it's a "small" set of
backup (not containing a lot of files) :

nas-cri02:~# /usr/bin/rsync -v -a -H --progress --stats
nas-cri01.ec-nantes.fr:/serveurs-backup/gondor/ /serveurs-backup/gondor/
receiving file list ... ##(hours waiting)
rsync error: received SIGUSR1 or SIGINT (code 20) at rsync.c(163)
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (235209932 bytes received so far)
[receiver]
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(420)

The config of both server is :
PIV 3Gz EM64T
Ram 2giga
Debian sarge amd64

Anybody has an idea on how to mirror correctly my backups ??

Thanks.

--
Nicolas Schmitz

Centre de Ressources Informatiques 		| tel  : 02 40 37 68 06
Ecole Centrale de Nantes                 	| fax  : 02 40 37 25 78
1 rue de la Noe - BP 92101
44321 NANTES CEDEX 03
http://www.ec-nantes.fr