[Dirvish] how to debug problems?

Eric Mountain em-dirvish-1 at nerim.net
Fri Oct 14 12:31:36 PDT 2005

On Friday 14 Oct 2005 08:58, Can Burak Cilingir spake thus:
> rsync --dry-run -vvv -vrltH --delete -pgo --stats -D --numeric-ids
> --exclude-from=/backup/_NEW//removed/20051012/exclude removed:/
> /backup/_NEW//removed/20051013/tree 2>&1 >rsync.log

Real-run logs of both client and server might be helpful.  You could also try
attaching to the hung processes with gdb and getting stack traces.

What O/S, rsync version etc. are we talking here?

Are the systems coming under memory pressure?

Has anything changed worth noting on the backup server or the backup client
for which the backup has stopped working?

Note that

 "2>&1 >rsync.log"

should be

 ">rsync.log 2>&1"

otherwise your stderr doesn't get captured (well, at least not in sh/bash).

Cheers,
Eric
--
Eric Mountain