[Dirvish] manually expiring backups

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Wed Oct 12 03:11:27 PDT 2005

On Tue 11 Oct 2005, dirvish at rain4us.net wrote:

> As I sit here and write this, I realize that in practicality,  I can
> manually just go in and 'rm -r' the backup sets I want to eliminate.  So
> for now, I guess the emergency is ..nonexistant..  HOWEVER!  How would one
> change the expire time on a set?  I've tried editing the Expire: value in
> /$BANK/$VAULT/$DATE/summary, but it doesn't seem to help.
> 'dirvish-expire' doesn't seem to get rid of certain $DATEs.

In my experience, changing the Expire: line works just fine.
Note that the "+ 1 year" or whatever is just documentary, the date &
timestamp are what matter.

I use it in reverse: when one of the servers here is replaced or
obsoleted, I change the Expire: header of the last backup to one year so
that we'll have a copy of its data for some time in case we need to
check something or so.

Expire: +14 days == 2006-09-07 22:00:00

works just fine to stop dirvih-expire complaining that it's the last
valid image, i.e. it doesn't try to remove it anymore.

Paul Slootman