[Dirvish] pushing backups

Hal Pomeranz hal at deer-run.com
Tue Oct 11 15:09:00 PDT 2005

Actually, I've recently been pondering a scenario where "push back"
would be useful.  I've already got a server with extra disk space at a
co-lo.  I'd like to be able to "push" backups from my home network to
an encrypted partition on the machine at the co-lo as an off-site
backup option for personal data and the like.

The machine initiating the backup would mount the encrypted slice
prior to initiating the backup and then dismount the partition when
finished.  Hence the key to unlock the partition would reside on a
machine in my home "trusted" network and not on the external machine.

Seems like a reasonable strategy to me.

Hal Pomeranz, Founder/CEO      Deer Run Associates      hal at deer-run.com
    Network Connectivity and Security, Systems Management, Training