[Dirvish] dirvish --init takes longer then 24h with dynamic IP

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Fri Oct 7 11:10:25 PDT 2005

On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 01:33:01PM +0200, Simon Liebold wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> the creation of my initial image takes longer than the backup-server can
> holds it's dynamic IP. As the rsyncs break i have to restart the whole
> process.
>
> Is there a way to merge the files that have been transferred in previous
> initialisation-attempts?
>
> cheers,
> -simon

Not easily.  dirvish-init wants to start with something clean, and leaves
crufty stuff if interrupted prematurely.  You can try diving below the
interface and experimenting with rsync directly;  the dirvish log files
show what command it gives rsync, and you can emulate that.

You probably should design around smaller vaults.  If there are problems
with init not getting completed in time,  you will probably encounter
similar problems during a regular transfer in the future, after a major
upgrade or when bandwidth is congested.  You can use the dirvish exclude
rules to chop up a file system into small, managable chunks.  This has
the added advantage that the number of files rsync has to keep track of
is reduced, so it uses less memory and runs faster.

I can also suggest an additional measure to cope with dynamic IP addresses:

My local network is connected through Comcast with a dynamic IP address.
My IP address can shift at any time.   So, I use the "openvpn"
application to create a virtual private network from my local network
to my offsite internet-facing server.  All traffic between that off-site
server and the internal network travels on the VPN, which retains the
same private IP network space regardless of which IP address Comcast
gives me.  In fact, Comcast could NAT (network address translation)
my connection and things should still work.  This is the connection
I drive dirvish and rsync over.

I'm not sure this will work for you;  it may be that things will time
out when the VPN is re-established after an IP address change.   But
in general, it simplifies connections and firewalling.