[Dirvish] Oregon State Open Source Labs moving to dirvish

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Mon Oct 3 03:51:51 PDT 2005

On Sun 02 Oct 2005, ml-it-dirvish at epigenomics.com wrote:
>  Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:
>
> > My huncher says "do it", but we decide on this together.  Ideas?
> > Opinions?
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me. It would put dirvish into a larger
> developer community as it may have today.

Yes, I agree. Everyone I've pointed towards dirvish was surprised
(a) that it existed and (b) how well it works. More exposure would be
good, and it sounds like letting OSL do work on it may help there.
Also consider announcing dirvish's net version on freshmeat, many people
seem to watch that.

> Although I think that dirvish is quite mature already. There are only
> two things that I am missing in 1.2 versions:
>
> - rsync return code 24 should only give a warning (this is already
>   addressed in 1.3 versions)
> - should be possible to run multiple vaults in parallel to speed up
>   overall processing.

Perhaps coupled to a maximum load level, similar to the way sendmail
does (don't start a multiple vault run unless the load is X or less).
Also don't run multiple vaults from one client system together, that
will cause the disks there to thrash, in my experience.

Paul Slootman