[Dirvish] dirvish write error, filesystem probably full

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Wed Jul 27 08:30:36 PDT 2005

On Wed, Jul 27, 2005 at 04:33:13PM +0200, Zdenek Pizl wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am using dirvish for long time successfuly. Today I encountered new
> error for me (see $SUBJECT).
>
> I need to rsync/dirvish remote server system (about 5 GB of data) to my
> local backup storage as I do with other ones. I've got "Status: fatal
> error (12) -- write error, filesystem probably full". But on the target
> partition there is abou 30 GB free and similar free space is on the
> remote server too.
>
> What could be reason of this error. It looks like same fake error or
> wrongly assigned error message to some event. Do you have any ideas,
> what's up?

The "...probably full" error gets thrown when rsync throws either a
"failed to write NNN bytes:" error or a "write failed" error.

There are two or more possibilities.  If you are backing up a windoze
server, there are issues with rsync and ssh not playing well with
cygwin and windoze.  Steve Ramage may have more to say, but you may
need to turn off ssh and move the files unencrypted.

Another possibility is that you are using backup storage with a limited
number of inodes.  Try a "df -i ".  If your target drive has used up
the available inodes, you may have to change from a fixed-inode-count
filesystem (ext3, for example) to a third-generation filesystem like
reiserfs3 .  Note that transferring the files may take a LONG time.

I hope that helps.  There are some very helpful people on this list,
so expect more feedback.