[Dirvish] dirvish/rsync thru ssh

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Fri Jul 15 03:28:59 PDT 2005

On Thu 14 Jul 2005, Mike Miller wrote:

> You are an ssh genius.  I was barking up the wrong tree, scouring
> through the rsync man page and dirvish documentation instead.
> I need to learn more about ssh, especially now that I'm doing
> something potentially dangerous.

While setting up a backup farm for 120 system, I didn't want to add such
a line for each system. Instead, I put the following in
/etc/dirvish/master.conf :

rsh:    ssh -i /usr/local/backup/etc/backup-key -c arcfour

(-c arcfour tells ssh to use that cipher instead of the default, and
arcfour needs much less cpu power; others use blowfish which has similar
properties.)

Paul Slootman